When my first attempt at an avocado dressing was a rousing success (if I do say so myself), I knew I had to come up with a recipe that was worthy of it’s creamy goodness. Because it’s nearly winter here in New Zealand, I’ve been craving hearty meals that are rich and satisfying. I thought I should have a raw vegetable salad, but I needed something warming, so these goodness packed vege patties were born.
I had some kale in the fridge that was on it’s last legs, so in the bottom of my steamer I cooked some potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots, steaming the kale and cabbage on top. Everything was perfectly cooked at the same time. All I had to do was season, mash and fry.
Once the patties were done I served with a green salad and avocado as I had a few that needed using up and smothered them with lashings of my avocado and garlic dressing I had prepared earlier. It. Was. Awesome.
- 3 medium potatoes
- ½ large sweet potato
- ⅛ medium pumpkin
- 1 large carrot
- 2 kale leaves, sliced thinly
- ½ medium diced onion
- 1 clove diced garlic
- 1 t finely chopped fresh fresh thyme
- 1 t finely chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ t pink Himalayan salt
- 1 T coconut oil
- Prepare and boil the root vegetables and steam the kale above if you have a steamer. Otherwise you can cook all veges in the same pot.
- Once cooked, mash together with the rest of the ingredients.
- Shape into patties and fry on a hotplate or in a frypan in the coconut oil.
- Smother in avocado dressing and eat right away, preferably not right at the bench, like I did. Try to make it to a table.